Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Consider The Lobster - David Foster Wallace

(Well, thanks to several months of work by the ACLU and a letter writing campaign by Amensty International, we've finally got a review by our newest "guest blogger" - Jose Padilla! Better late than never, eh Jose?)


It's recycling day at the Wallaces and luckily for us, what we have here is another collection of old essays by the author of infinite Jest! My Lord, what a wonderful book. All of these articles were first published years and years ago and reading Consider The Lobster takes me back to a time when I was walking around and breathing fresh air instead of being chained up in a dank hole in an undisclosed location.

In fact, after my latest water-boarding session the other day, I happened to mention this to the CIA guy who'd been given the task of shoving my head into the tub. Well, it just so happens that he did his thesis on Wallace at Brown and thought he was the "coolest" writer around. Yeah, it was a nice little bonding moment. We both had a chuckle and next time, he promised not to go "so hard-core" on me!

Sigh. I might never see sunlight ever again but at least with this book, I can bask in the brilliance of David Foster Wallace (and use it to chase away the rats in my cell!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home